Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Ask The Attorney

I have a girlfriend in Brazil and we are thinking about getting married. What is the best way to bring her to the United States?

U.S. immigration law permits a U.S. citizen to obtain a fiance visa for a foreign national to come to the U.S. The visa (a "K-1") requires the individual to come to the U.S. and marry the sponsor within 90 days of arrival. The procedures call for the filing of an application with the USCIS, which when approved is forwarded to the U.S. consulate in the fiance's home country. The fiance is interviewed by the consulate and issued the visa to come to the U.S. After the couple are married in the U.S., the foreign born spouse files an application for a green card in the U.S. It generally takes about 6-8 months between the filing of the initial application with USCIS and the issuance of the K-1 at the consulate. After arrival in the U.S., it will take another 4-6 months to obtain approval of the green card.

For more information about obtaining a fiance visa visit us www.zwaik.com

1 comment:

  1. I have been deported to Mexico, but do to political matter, I have to cross back to US and I was detaine at inmigration detection center, I request an interview with a asylum officer, and the asylum officer granted my application, but after I get out my lawyer, can't get me a work permit, I'm desesperately becuse I do not have work and money and my lawyer do not want to provide a copy of my personal file, why?