Q. WHAT IS THE RUSH TO DO SOMETHING NOW?
· RPIs will be eligible for work cards and travel permission
· The application period will be for one year with a possible 1 year extension
· There will be a $2,000 penalty fee (in addition to an undetermined filing fee) payable as follows: $500 with the initial filing, $500 after 6 years when the RPI status must be renewed and $1000 after 10 years when the applicant can apply for a green card.
· Eliminates the age cap for DREAMers and will permit DREAMers to apply for a green card after 5 years.
· Eliminates the 1-year filing deadline for asylum applicants. Those previously granted withholding, rather than asylum, can return to Court for a modification. (If approved, this would permit them to travel and bring in spouses and children.)
· The bill would eliminate family based backlogs by:
· Creating a new “Merit Based” point system after 5 years that would grant permanent residency based on an individual’s education, employment, US family members and other considerations
· Providing a new path to residency for investors